Google’s first TV ad (as far as I can remember) was actually one borrowed from their online “Search Stories” campaign. It appeared online in November 2009.
Some of the online comments are quite scathing about such a “boring” schmaltzy commercial, but I think it was just right.
- It was based on their main frame of reference (search)
- Didn’t talk at all about the technology
- Told a simple story using only words and search boxes
- Occasionally hinted at Google’s cleverness (did you mean Louvre?)
- Was only marginally faster than a real Google search sequence (unlike Apple’s superfast simulations), and therefore a credible simulation
- While Bing is still trying to gain awareness and credibility, Google is saying to consumers “why would you even bother with Bing when Google already answers your questions”
- It was one of the only ads where people (at least my co-viewers) remembered the brand. Because every moment was linked to people’s real experience with that brand. Search box, type, search, get results, repeat.